Sunday, 24 October 2010

The bugs of Fallout New Vegas

On the one hand Fallout: New Vegas is a phenomenal improvement on Fallout 3. It feels like the middle ground between Fallout 2 and Fallout 3, and is what I wanted its predecessor to be. Options are prevalent, and that is the spirit of Fallout 1 and 2, and what should be the spirit of all games. It’s so open ended, and the faction system gives you the feeling that your actions actually have consequences.

The dialogue and characters are so much better than in Fallout 3 it is actually embarrassing. I’ve met interesting characters, who have made me laugh. I can’t remember anyone I met in Fallout 3. My guy was like one of those assholes who never remembers your name (so also like someone with Alzheimer’s).

But Fallout: New Vegas is not a finished game, at all, and the bugs featured range from comical (I’ve seen an old lady slide across the wasteland as if she were sat in a chair), to freaky (the fucking possessed doctor bullshit), to game ending (every time I use the scope on my gun now a computer monitor appears on my screen, as if I’d activated a computer in the game. I don’t know if this is some meta commentary on the person I am but what the hell).

How is this shit allowed? Yeah, I bought this game the day it came out, I wanted to play it. But I would have waited a few more weeks whilst this shit was sorted, you know? This is like going to see a film and the sound is really quiet, and when you listen it’s all been reversed anyway. Or you go to a restaurant, order a meal, and then you have to eat it off the floor, and someone else already ate half of it.

Or you buy a pair of pants from a shop and they fit nice but everyone now and again the person who made them rubs shit in your face.

Now if you’ll excuse me I have just learned I was born on the same day as Gene Kelly and I look nothing like him and this must change.

Also: Kevin VanOrd, if you're reading this, and I know you are, I totally understand what you were saying, and I apologise for using you to illustrate how bad your review was.

No comments:

Post a Comment