Saturday, 13 November 2010

Review of Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's New Vegas review

Whilst I appreciate the old school sort of humour story telling nature of Ben “Yahtzee” Croshaw’s review of New Vegas, it harks back to the kind of shit they used to do in PC Zone in 1997, and I have had to resist the urge to do that sort of shit myself, it seems like Ben “Yahtzee” Croshaw has been broken by sequels.

About Fallout: New Vegas Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw says this (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2435-Fallout-New-Vegas):

New Vegas is functionally just an expansion pack of Fallout 3 and I said everything I needed to say about Fallout 3 in my Fallout 3 review of Fallout 3.”

I’m not in favour of sequels generally either, Half Life 2 being the exception in terms of me actually wanting more of that story. In fact I think sequels, instead of having numbers should have the word "Again", so Assassin's Creed 2 would be called Assassin's Creed Again, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 would be called Call of Duty Again, Again, Again: Modern Warfare Again. (can't remember if that idea is already on this blog so fuck it)

I wouldn’t have asked for New Vegas, I held out as little hope as possible, seeing as I’d wanted Fallout 3 to actually not be shit and was so, so disappointed. But as things turn out New Vegas rams the shit out of Fallout 3, so it’s all ok.

So, in this instance, Ben “Yahtzee” Croshaw, we need to go beyond the standard Christian concepts of Good and Evil and judge each game on its own merits.

Fallout 3 defined the game Fallout 3, as you may well expect, but New Vegas is actually worth playing, being so much more refined, and subtle, and what a game should be. There’s nothing more to say about the engine, sure, but a game is not an engine and no one should ever buy New Vegas for the fucking engine.

Also, Ben “Yahtzee” Croshaw: reply to my fucking emails DAMN.

And, seriously, those “Day One” panel things in that New Vegas review went on for far too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment