Wednesday, 21 September 2011

chatting shit on farcry 3 because who is going to stop us

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/aug/15/far-cry-3-interview

R

Man, ‘I’ve got to overcome that by learning more about who I am.’

So like discovering I can shoot an ak47 and that I’ve killed people before?

B

Yeah that’s what gets me. He’s staying this stuff we say, about games shouldn’t be films, but his game sounds shit as hell.

R

Yeah, like, when Enslaved came out, it came out the same time as Medal Of Honor, or around then. But Enslaved had Andy Serkis and I wrote that piece about how that shit was the way forward, in terms of realism, and not like ‘real world locations’ and ‘beards’. Having actual acting and subtle emotional engagement.

Now Rockstar and these clowns Ubisoft are following suit.

B

But this is a shitcrock too. That shit you said about the AK. What human has killed another guy with an AK before? No one that buys this game. Why do they still think we want to play as film heroes.

R

Yeah, he talks about how games shouldn’t be films, but is making a game that is exactly like a dumb action film, with almost no appreciation of what a game can be that a film cannot.

But I think a lot of people do still want to be those film heroes. It just seems like we’ve grown up faster than most games developers, or the industry anyway.

Maybe we should stop calling them games and start referring to them as films and see what happens in our minds. Like would a film about a guy who has to fight modern pirates be even remotely interesting?

B

The thing is we like good music and good films. We like games but there basically aren’t any good ones. We’re stuck around playing the videogame equivalent of queens of the stone age or a baz luhrman film.

R

Yeah but QOTSA have two really good albums and one great one. Even in the shittest games there’s probably one bit that’s ok.

B

Ok gayman. I love qotsa. I’m Roland, qotsa qotsa qotsa.

R

Hey man it saves typing out their stupid long name.

B

Hey man that last burn on you was A*

R

Yeah, A for Asshole. You asshole.

I think mostly it’s a lack of broad influences that damage games.

B

Yeah. All protags are so same like same person. Or ridiculous Japanese shit.

R

Yeah. I remember when Half Life was coming out, and this is a game I love. Some games journo saying like, Gordon Freeman is a scientist, so he has to learn to survive. That actually meant nothing, because I’d played shooters before. I know how to point and click, you know?

B

Yeah, that sort of shit is ass. Only time I’ve felt like that before is in that like Supernatural Detective Game 2, when you get a gun and you’re pretty fucking awful with it, and you have like 8 bullets.

That’s sort of like learnng that anew. Feel like you’re doing something new that you don’t quite grasp.

R

Yeah, Condemned 2. That game had some brilliant ideas, but I’ve never heard a games developer talk about it.

But like for Left4Dead Valve were studying the Spanish flu epidemic. Just to give the world a realistic epidemic grounding.

No comments:

Post a Comment